This is a map of my current trip --

This map shows my current location as well as where I have been. Enjoy. --- Well, here I go again. Where will I possibly end up? Hope you enjoy following me .... Check back often.



19 May 2012

A pretty good day. I slept in until my alarm woke me up at 0830. Went out for a good breakfast then packed my backpack, closed up my bicycle shipping box and stored it in Castelldefels. I didn't want to go all the way through the heavy traffic in Barcelona so I jumped on the train and got off on the north side of town and started peddling. First I got lost, found the street that goes to the marina, turned the wrong way and rode for about a mile. I stopped and asked directions from a teenage girl that was riding a125cc sport motorcycle and discovered I was going the wrong way. When I turned on that street, had I turned the other way I would have been at the marina in two blocks. When I finally made it to the Mediterranean Sea, I noticed an outdoor motorcycle exhibition. All the factories were there so I got to check out and sit on all the new model motorcycles. That was good for another hour of not making progress on the bicycle. So, I finally got headed north. I used a lot of dedicated bike trails. These have no traffic on them but lots of walkers and joggers so progress was slower than on the roads. I followed the beach road all day. Just before turning inland, I stopped for some food at an outdoor restaurant. When I was just about finished, 12 young ladies walked by. I didn't pay much attention until they all turned around rushed toward me and while eleven of them cheered, and one taking photographs of everything, one came up, gave me a big kiss on the cheek and said something in Spanish. When she discovered that I didn't speak Spanish, she said "will you ..." and then turned to one of her friends for help. When they got it straight, the question was "will you marry me?" Wow, now I know the secret with these Spanish girls ... just let them see you drip some catsup on your shirt and they fall in love. Well, that was a first!
Soon I was heading north again and I turned inland towards Girona, hoping to find a hotel away from the beach with lower prices. None to be found in the small towns on my route. A lady in a bakery in one town said the nearest hotel was in Blanes and she gave me directions. Blanes put me right back on the beach again. I was afraid of what the costs would be but found a Hostel in the middle of town. I am the only person here! And the price is right. Anyway I managed to check out all the new motorcycles, meet some Canadians on the train, get a marriage proposal, and still ride 54.2 miles today. Wonder what new adventures await me tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment